The original Henry George Birthplace was a small 2 -1/2 story Georgian style brick dwelling. At some point in 1890s, the third floor was enlarged with a mansard roof and a second floor Victorian sheet metal bay window was added.
The restoration returned the front building to its original 1839 appearance. A new wood cedar roof and dormer were installed on the third floor and new first floor window and front door with elliptical transom were modified based on an extensive study of contemporary Georgian houses in the neighborhood.
The Henry George School of Social Science purchased the building in 1957 and removed almost all of the original and Victorian interior fabric and installed new floor, wall and ceiling coverings.
Selective demolition revealed that the original fire box and flue had been removed; however, the outline of the fire box and the hearth was intact in the wall and the floor.
The firebox and chimneypiece design of the First Floor Front Room were based on an extensive study of contemporary Georgian houses in the neighborhood. The design prototype of the new window casings was an original window casing found hidden under plaster in the First Floor Rear Room.
Almost all of the original and Victorian interior fabric were removed in 1957 and new floor, wall and ceiling coverings installed in the Second Floor Front Room.
Selective demolition revealed plaster of different colors that gave the overall dimensions of the firebox, chimneypiece and the side closet.
The chimneypiece design of the Second Floor Front Room was based on original moldings and casings found throughout the house.
Proudly serving Chapel Hill, Winston Salem and Greensboro, NC with top quality custom home design services.